Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spring!

As always, I am a bit behind on updating our beespittle fans. Recently we de-winterized the hives by removing the tar paper and rotating the hive bodies (top box to bottom and bottom to top). We just decided to take on this chore kind of last minute and didn't put too much thought into it. We had already read up on what to do/expect, so we weren't too worried...but we probably should have been! Out of all of our experiences with beekeeping thus far, this was by-in-large the most INTENSE! When we got the hive bodies apart and started to rotate them, needless to say, the girls weren't too happy about it. I kind of had a freak out moment and ran back to the 4-wheeler where our supplies were, at about 30 ft away, to catch my breath and calm down-leaving my poor husband high and dry, haha! And while doing so I nearly stepped on a snake! (That didn't aid in the "settling down" process.) Which shouldn't been real surprising, considering the hives are backed up against my parents woods, but that was actually the first snake I have ever seen when beekeeping.

In the end we left with out any be stings (DH might of gotten stung on the shin, but he couldn't ever really tell if it was an actual sting or thorn, or what...so I am not counting it!) but it was INTENSE.

Spring is late to arrive this year, so we added the honey supers and decided against feeding and medicating the girls due to time constraints.

Finally, though I am sure our "following" is quite small, if you happen to know of anyone who has a honey extractor they are looking to selling, send them our way. We are looking to purchase one rather than rent this year.

More pictures soon folks!

Beespittle!

No comments:

Post a Comment